Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers out there that has been developed by Google for Microsoft Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android.
The Other Way
Not everyone is keen on Google or handing all their data to them. Or they have never thought about linking their email to Google. If that’s the case they might not have a Google account.
However they can still be using the Google Chrome browser, and if the unfortunate event of a hard drive failure or similar happens you might lose everything tied to your browser.
Many customers hold a list of logins and other details in their browser. These can all be lost in an instance as the only copy is on their computer. Thankfully in most instances we have some warning of failing component and we have a chance to export and import our Google Chrome passwords.
The Steps – Exporting
1) Click the 3 dots in the toolbar and choose Settings
2) Click Passwords
3) Click the 3 dots above the list of saved passwords and select Export passwords
4) Click Export passwords – enter the password you use to log in to your computer if asked
5) Save the file to your desktop
The Steps – Importing
1) Open a new Tab in Google Chrome
2) Type the following in the address bar: chrome://flags
3) Search for Password Import
4) Click the dropdown and select Enable
5) Click the Relaunch button
6) Click the 3 dots for the menu
7) Click on Settings
8) Click Password
9) Next to Saved Passwords there is another 3 dots menu, which now has the Import option
The Easy Way
Naturally there’s an easier way to do this. If you have a Google Account you can link this to your Chrome browser. This way everything from bookmarks to passwords is saved to your Google account.
To sign in and start syncing your data click your little grey man in the top right corner then click on Turn on Sync…
Once you’ve signed in you can rest assured that all the websites you’ve signed up for and their password are tied to your Google account.
Get in touch to find out about our broad range of IT services and support packages. Please contact us today for more information.